Harwood Law advises investors in privately held corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships on protecting their investments, resolving disputes with their business partners, transitioning to new generations of management and valuation of their interests in buyouts, break ups and dissolutions. These disputes can take on the quality of a business divorce, especially in family owned businesses. Harwood Law also prosecutes and defends lawsuits involving the valuation, management, ownership, profits, capital accounts and dissolution of privately owned businesses. Representative matters include:
- Prosecuted claims for the minority owner of a real estate investment company against the majority owner for breach of the company’s operating agreement.
- Defended the majority owners of a privately owned corporation in a valuation proceeding in connection with the buyout of the minority shareholder.
- Advised a departing partner in a hedge fund on the recovery of the partner’s capital account.
- Defended a law firm partnership against claims by a departing partner for the value of unfinished business.
- Negotiated a buyout of a fifty percent owner’s interest in a corporation engaged in operating an art studio, school and retail store.
- Defended a law firm against a departing partner’s claim for retirement benefits.