Harwood Law’s experience in professional liability is enhanced by Tony Harwood’s longstanding leadership roles in legal ethics. Tony has served as one of the Chairpersons of the Ethics Committee of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association for over a decade. He has also served on the Ethics Committee of the New York City Bar Association. He has represented law firms and individual lawyers in malpractice cases, partnership disputes and investigations. Representative matters include:
- Defended a leading New York law firm in a three week trial against claims of malpractice arising out of a $70 million stock purchase agreement. Obtained a judgment dismissing all claims and an affirmance on appeal.
- Defended an international law firm in multi-district, class action litigation alleging claims of securities fraud and malpractice arising out of the firm’s representation of the lead underwriter in a public offering. Obtained a dismissal of all claims on a pretrial motion.
- Defended a lawyer in a joint investigation by the department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission into criminal and civil charges of securities fraud.
- Defended claims for malicious prosecution.
- Defended a law firm against claims by a departing partner for compensation allegedly due on unfinished business.
- Defended a law firm against claims by a former partner for pension benefits. Obtained a dismissal on a motion for summary judgment which was affirmed by the New York Court of Appeals after a reversal by the intermediate appellate court.
- Defended a law firm against claims by a vendor for compensation allegedly due for negotiating an abatement in a commercial lease.